Which is better, Straight Talk or Net10?

Discussion in 'Net10 Wireless' started by jlanders, Jul 17, 2013.

1. jlanders

jlanders Prepaid Newbie

I know they are sister companies, so which is better in general if you get an unlimited plan?
  2. jermaine

jermaine Prepaid Newbie

none, both have terrible CS and they cut off data!
  3. Jason A

Jason A Prepaid Expert

jlanders, Straight Talk is better!

Both are known to have terrible customer service and throttle data.

They also have the same coverage because they operate on the same network.

Straight Talk is better because they have cheaper unlimited plans.

Additionally, ST offers unlimited plans that are good for 3 months, 6 months and a year.

What I like about Net10 though is their family plans.
  4. lowrider

lowrider Prepaid Newbie

As far as I know, Straight Talk has some better offers, including those really nice unlimited plans, so go for them!
  5. xxnasmaxx

xxnasmaxx New Member

Straight talk and net10 are both owned by tracfone and CS dept are in same room / building. If your using straight talk AT&T BYOP SIM card then you are getting the same thing as net10. Tracfone just markets the same products in different ways under diff names. In my dealer portal I can look up straight talk accounts even tho we are not walmart.
  6. Jason A

Jason A Prepaid Expert

xxnasmaxx, that means you get throttled at 1.5 GB even if you have ST AT&T SIM, right?

Any idea when will you get throttled if you have T-Mobile SIM, or if you are using ST with Verizon or Sprint network?
  7. xxnasmaxx

xxnasmaxx New Member

From what i have gathered from customers of straight talk, tracfone reps, and internal testing at my store its a little bit of getting throttled after 1.5gb and having data cut off after 1.5gb on AT&T side of system. as for Verizon side, i have noticed there is a 1.5gb cap on Straight Talk iPhones and BYOP Service. and they Throttle Data right out the door. as far as T-mobile side of straight talk i am not sure, but i would assume it would closely resemble Simple Mobile's System, since they are also now a revised brand of tracfone. and as far as Sprint side it seems to be the only non throttled and real unlimited data service. They seem to be more lenient on data if a customer is using a Straight Talk Branded device.

But also keep in mind that straight Talk is not the one that Physically cuts the connections or throttles data, it is internal on the primary networks, and is part of the system that tracks data usage and patterns. so straight talk isnt going around and pulling accounts from a hat. all the plans have to mold to the contracts setup between straight talk and The Big guys :)

At one time they did have truly unlimited data, but the game has changed. and the Big Guys decided to take unlimited data from both their customers and the mvnos that wholesale from them. but due to the fact that 99% of americans who own a smartphone only use at most 1GB of data and the terms of there service have very well worded terms, they have been able to get away with stating unlimited data. Even at $45 a month for Unlimited Talk, Text and 1.5gb of data its still not a bad price compared to Contract Plans.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Jason A

Jason A Prepaid Expert

Good info! Very informative. Thanks!

Yea, I can't think of an MVNO with real unlimited data.. Chances are data gets throttled at some point.

Also, I read straight talk got sued over hidden data limits and for advertising it as unlimited.