Straight Talk and Net10 Bring Your Own CDMA Phone Program Canceled

Discussion in 'Prepaid News' started by Jason A, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Jason A

Jason A Prepaid Expert

Update: May 14, 2013
    Straight Talk and Net10 BYOP sites are back, read here: http://prepaidcellforum.com/threads...cel-americas-byop-cdma-options-back-live.220/
    _____

Last week prepaid provider Straight Talk Wireless launched its Bring Your Own Verizon Phone program that lets users activate their old Verizon phones on Straight Talk's $45 unlimited plan. I have just found out via a post on Howard Forums that the option is no longer available.

[​IMG]

Their site for activating CDMA phones went live last week at straighttalkbyop.com. Even if the site was live it had a few bugs and problems in activating a CDMA phone. As of now, the site redirects to straighttalksim.com, which only sells Straight Talk SIM cards on T-Mobile network and no option to activate CDMA phones.

The BYOP program of Net10, which is Straight Talks sister company is also no longer available. The companies BYOP site went live ahead of Straight Talk and now also redirects to a SIM site. Both companies haven't issued any explanation on why their BYOP CDMA program suddenly disappeared.

At first I assumed that the sites were taken down temporarily to fix some bugs, but Straight Talk and NET10 representatives on Facebook and HowardForums are saying that they no longer offer a BYOP CDMA program.

A user from Howard Forums also called ST customer service and the rep said that they no longer offer BYOP for CDMA and no further explanation was provided. Another user received a personal message from Straight Talk rep Sara. Here is the message:

"Hi Deathcab,

We apologize for the inconvenience. We just received an update that the Verizon CDMA phones are no longer compatible with our Bring Your Own Phone program. We will keep you up to date regarding this issue.

Feel free to send us an email at ST.CorpResolutionTeam@straighttalk.com if you have further questions. Thank you!"

It sucks that the BYOP CDMA option was suddenly canceled and I doubt we will get an explanation. I hope they will bring it back soon, a lot of subscribers from Verizon is looking forward to bring their old phones to Straight Talk and Net10.

For questions, feel free to comment below.

By: Jason from PrepaidCellForum.com
    via: HowardForums
  2. kalvin007

kalvin007 Prepaid Newbie

Wow. That didn't last long! I tried to activate my iPhone 4 last week, but Net10 won't accept it. Sucks! I hope they bring back the program someday without the bugs.
  3. Jason A

Jason A Prepaid Expert

That could be one of the reason why they suddenly cancelled the option. Too many activations were failing that they can't solve all of them. Once the problems are fixed, BYOP CDMA will probably return (fingers crossed).
  4. kalvin007

kalvin007 Prepaid Newbie

Probably, hopefully I can activate my iPhone when it's back.
  5. Jason A

Jason A Prepaid Expert

Visit the forum for more news and we will post an update about BYOP CDMA when it's back.
  6. jwalker

jwalker New Member

7. Jason A

Jason A Prepaid Expert

• Like Like x 1
  8. jwalker

jwalker New Member